By the way, in case it needs to be said:
* Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist, personal trainer, or any other type of health professional. My advice here is solely based on my own experience and should not be taken as professional advice. *
1. You have to exercise yourself to death to lose weight.
|image via Newfie Bullet on Flickr|
2. You can eat what you want if you're exercising.
Myth. While it might be true for some people who are at their maintain weight, it's not the case if you want to lose weight. What these past few weeks have taught me is that how much I lose is more related to what I put in my mouth instead of what calories I spend in exercise. Do I burn more when I exercise? Yes, of course. And if I had made it to the gym every day AND ate like I did, I'm sure the loss recorded last week would have been larger. But cutting back on what I ate did the trick. Like I said on week 12 (and Skinny Emmie said a few weeks ago), eating too much of the right stuff is still too much. Which leads me to number 3...
3. You don't have to eat healthy to lose weight.
|image via kfisto on Flickr|
4. Eating healthy is boring.
|image via stinky_harriet on Flickr|
5. You have to load up on protein in the morning for breakfast.
|the toast is buttered here...but not usually|
5. You have to eat like this for the rest of your life.
Fact. For those of us who have struggled with weight for years - and I'm not talking about someone who is 5 lbs overweight - how you eat to lose weight needs to be something you can sustain for the rest of your life. Going on a diet for a few weeks and then going back to eating what you were before you started doesn't work. Your friendly fat cells that you thought you had said goodbye to will come back to keep you company and will bring their friends, extended family and all their luggage with them. This is about sustainable life change, folks, so make changes that you can stick with. No shortcuts. No punchbacks.
(and I have to say that this is still the scariest part of it for me, 'cuz I do loves me grub.)
6. Drinking more water helps you lose weight.
|image via bebe no on Flickr|
And you'll burn more calories by walking back and forth to the bathroom more often too, so it's a win-win. :o)
Question: What myths have you busted in your journey? What rules have you defied? Or what tried-and-true advice have you stuck with?